Labor Day is nearly upon us (in the United States) which means it’s one of the about three times a year we get the opportunity to purchase heavily-discounted outdoor gear (yes, only three, because we all know that one sale a year ends up not actually discounting anything that anyone wants to buy – we don’t want your garbage, retailers).
After combing through the various sites and sales being offered this week (most through September 7), here are the best discounts and products I found (there are some good ones!).
Let me know in the comments if you have any questions, and don’t forget to use the links in this article to help support Halfway Anywhere!
- Additional 20% off ANY item from REI Outlet with code LABORDAY20
- 20% off any single full-priced item (Moosejaw)
- 25-40% off Osprey backpacks (including the Exos and Eja)
- 25% off Big Agnes Tiger Wall tents (I really want a Tiger Wall Platinum 2 – or even a Carbon)
- 25% off NEMO Hornet Elite 1 (I have the Hornet Elite 2 and am liking it thus far)
- 25% off Big Agnes Torchlight sleeping bags
- 25% off NEMO Forte sleeping bags
- 25% off Therm-a-Rest sleeping pads (Z Lite SOL, RidgeRest SOLite, ProLite. ProLite Plus)
- 25% off ALL water filters and purifiers (including Sawyer, Katadyn, and even Aquamira)
- $12/20% off Headlamp 330 from BioLite
- 20% off ALL Snow Peak products (it’s finally time to get that titanium spork)
- 25% off MSR PocketRocket 2 and MSR PocketRocket Deluxe
- 25% off ALL Petzl headlamps (and camp lighting)
- 20% off Sea to Summit stuff sacks and dry bags (I use an 8L Ultra-Sil Nano for my sleeping bag)
- 20-30% off Goal Zero (I really want a Yeti Lithium 200X to keep in the car)
Jackets (Shells and Insulated)
- 25% off ALL Arc’teryx (I love my Cerium LT which is 50% OFF right now!)
- 30% off all REI Co-op 650 down jackets and vests
- 40% off all REI Co-op rain jackets
Footwear (Shoes and Socks)
- 25% off Darn Tough Socks! (aka the greatest socks ever)
- 20-50% off select Altra shoes and trail runners
- 50% off Brooks Cascadia trail runners (one of the highest-rated shoes among PCT hikers)
- 20-50% off Merrell shoes (including my favorite, the Moab 2 Ventilator)
- 25% off Salomon footwear and trail runners
- 25% off all KEEN footwear
- 25% off Skout Organic with code PLANTSNACK (no minimum order!)
- 46% off Mountain House Italian Style Pepper Steak (2 serving size)
- 16-25% off Mountain House at Backcountry
- 31% off Honey Stinger Energy Waffles ($0.87 each in a pack of 6)
Osprey Backpacks | 25-40% off until September 7
Most Osprey backpacks, including the Exos and Eja which were among the highest-rated and most-common packs among Pacific Crest Trail thru-hikers, are on sale for 25 to 40% off through September 7. Find a complete listing of all Osprey gear on sale here.
Big Agnes Tiger Wall Tents | 25% off until September 7
I’ve been a big fan of my Copper Spur 2 Platinum for a while now, but I am very interested in trying out the (lighter) Tiger Wall Platinum (or maybe even the Tiger Wall Carbon). All Big Agnes Tiger Wall tents are 25% off right now, so if you’re in the same boat as me, perhaps now’s the time to set sail (or to dock? how does this metaphor work?).
Sleeping Bags | 20-30% off until September 7
Sleeping bags can be the single most expensive piece of gear in your backpack (including your backpack), and so it’s probably wise to not pay full price for one if you can avoid it. The Marmot Helium 15 (a popular choice among thru-hikers) is on sale right now along with a bag I’ve been wanting to try out for a while, the Rab Mythic 400. Honestly, I might end up getting myself one of these.
Therm-a-Rest Sleeping Pads | 25% off until September 7
Therm-a-Rest has made a name as the brand for sleeping pads. Last year, they dominated the PCT and CDT hiker surveys. If you’re going to be thru-hiking, there’s a good chance you have a Therm-a-Rest-branded sleeping pad. Better yet? The inflatable Therm-a-Rest pads now have a redesigned valve that’s objectively better than the old valve in literally every way.
Arc’teryx | 25-50% off until September 3
Right now, REI is offering up to 50% off (with a minimum of 25% off) ALL Arc’teryx gear. You can find the entire catalog here, but here’s a selection of some of the best buys of the sale. I am very tempted to get myself a Firebee AR Parka for my next excursion to Nepal.
Darn Tough, Farm to Feet, Smartwool Socks | 25% off until September 7
Growing up I often failed to appreciate the amount of joy that comes with receiving, and especially putting on, a new pair of socks. Right now, all of my favorite sock brands, Darn Tough, Farm to Feet, and Smartwool, are on sale for a (minimum) 25% off. And it’s not just these socks that are discounted, check out the entire list here.
REI Co-op | 30-40% off until September 7
It’s not always the sexiest gear, but REI-branded backpacking gear has been getting better over the years and has even broken into some of the top spots on the Pacific Crest Trail and Continental Divide Trail surveys. Right now (until September 7) you can get 40% off their sleeping bags and 30% off their tents.
Mac’s Picks & Highlights | Discounted until September 7
There’s a lot more worth taking a look at during this sale. Here are some of my picks – some of these are things that I have and some are things that I want. Regardless, now is probably the time to get on them.
This page contains affiliate links which means at no additional cost to you, I may receive small commissions for purchases made via these links. This helps to pay the bills and keep the site up and running. Thank you for your support!