Nepal’s Everest Base Camp (EBC) sits at 17,598 ft / 5,364 m at the foot of the highest peak in the world – Mount Everest (29,029 ft / 8,848 m). For a few months every year, this place turns into a small tent city as it fills with expeditions hoping to summit the world’s most famous mountain.
Although a trip to the top of Everest costs tens of thousands of dollars, a trip to Everest Base Camp can be done relatively cheaply (for as little as a few hundred dollars even). Many people choose to go on organized trips to Base Camp and others hire guides, but a solo unguided trip is a completely reasonable undertaking as well.
Maybe the idea of “hiking alone in the Himalayas” sounds a little intimidating, but the truth is that the path to Everest Base Camp is well-worn and there are plenty of villages sprinkled throughout the valleys leading up towards Everest. Although EBC can be reached year-round, the peak trekking seasons are March to May (when people make their Everest attempts) and September to October.
Personally, I like the winter.
If you have any questions about Everest Base Camp or trekking in Nepal, then get in touch.
Quick EBC Facts
- Language: Nepali
- Currency: Nepalese Rupee / NPR
- Time Zone: NPT (UTC+5:45)
- Calling Code: +977
- Drinking Age: 18
- Drinking Tap Water: Not Okay
- Flushing Toilet Paper: Not Okay
- Cellular Network: GSM/CDMA EV-DO
- Vaccinations Required: CDC
- Credit Cards: Visa/MC accepted, but carry cash
- Tipping: Not expected
- Emergency Number: Police: 100 Fire: 101
- Outlets: Indian, Europlug / 220-240 Volts
- Visa Requirements: External Link!
Faces of the Himalaya
- Day 1: Kathmandu to Lukla
- Day 1.5: Lukla to Phakding
- Day 2: Phakding to Namche Bazaar
- Night 2: The Dogs Of Namche Bazaar
- Day 3: Acclimatization, Khumjung, and Khunde
- Day 4: Namche Bazaar to Tengboche
- Day 5: Tengboche to Dingboche
- Day 6: Chukhung Ri And Failed Acclimatization
- Day 7: Chukhung to Dughla
- Day 8: Dughla to Lobuche
- Day 9: Lobuche to Gorak Shep
- Day 9.5: Gorak Shep to Everest Base Camp
- Day 10: Kala Patthar
- Day 10.5: Gorak Shep to Tengboche
- Day 11: Tengboche to Namche Bazaar
- Day 12: Day Off In Namche Bazaar
- Day 13: Namche Bazaar to Lukla
Everest Base Camp Posts
- Everest Base Camp Gear List
- 15 Things To Remember Trekking In The Himalaya
- Everest Base Camp Trek Questions Answered!
- The Ultimate Everest Base Camp Plan
- Photo Essay: Everest Base Camp Trek
- What Is Food Like In The Himalaya?
- Faces Of Nepal And The Himalaya
- To Everest We Go
I’ve tried to make this as accessible and straightforward as possible because I remember what a hassle it was to find information about hiking unguided to Everest Base Camp in the winter.
If you have any suggestions on how this page can be improved, questions about the trek, or requests for future posts, then contact me and let me know!