Nepal’s Three Passes Trek is a lollipop loop in the Everest Region starting and ending in either Jiri or Lukla (Jiri for those of you with more time – I definitely recommend hiking in from Jiri – and Lukla for everyone flying to the mountains).
The loop goes over three of Nepal’s high passes, Kongma La (18,209 ft / 5,550 m), Cho La (17,782 ft / 5,420 m), and Renjo La (17,560 ft / 5,360 m), and you can easily make a detour to Everest Base Camp you’re into that (probably worth it).
If you’re not comfortable doing this trip alone, you can easily hire a guide (and even a porter), but I would recommend tackling this without a guide if that’s something you’re comfortable with. The information here is (hopefully) all you need to get it done.
If you have any questions about the Three Passes Trek or trekking in Nepal, then get in touch.
Three Passes Trek Facts
- Language: Nepali
- Currency: Nepalese Rupee / NPR
- Time Zone: NPT (UTC+5:45)
- Calling Code: +977
- Drinking Age: 18
- Drinking Tap Water: Not Okay
- Flushing Toilet Paper: Not Okay
- Cellular Network: GSM/CDMA EV-DO
- Vaccinations Required: CDC
- Credit Cards: Visa/MC accepted, but carry cash
- Tipping: Not expected
- Emergency Number: Police: 100 Fire: 101
- Outlets: Indian, Europlug / 220-240 Volts
- Visa Requirements: External Link!
Faces of the Himalayas
The Pass Guides
Three Passes Trek Posts
- Three Passes Trek Map (and GPS Track)
- Nepal Three Passes Trek Gear List
- Nepal Three Passes Trek
- Catching (Or Not Catching) A Flight To Lukla
- 15 Things To Remember Trekking In The Himalayas
- What Is Food Like In The Himalayas?
- Faces Of Nepal And The Himalayas
Three Passes Trek Journal
- Day 1: Lukla to Monjo
- Day 2: Monjo to Namche Bazaar
- Day 3: Namche Acclimatization Loop
- Day 4: Namche Bazaar to Pangboche
- Day 5: Pangboche to Dingboche
- Day 6: Dingboche Acclimatization
- Day 7: Dingboche to Chukhung
- Day 8: Kongma La (Chukhung to Lobuche)
- Day 9: Lobuche to Dzongla
- Day 10: Cho La (Dzongla to Dragnag)
- Day 11: Dragnag to Gokyo
- Day 12: Renjo La (Gokyo to Thame)
- Day 13: Thame to Lukla
I’ve tried to make this as accessible and straightforward as possible because I remember what a hassle it was to find information about hiking unguided to Three Passes Trek in the winter.
If you have any suggestions on how this page can be improved, questions about the ride, or requests for future posts, then contact me and let me know!